Saturday, February 16, 2013

Baseline Survey Analysis


I am reading on how to analyze my baseline survey using Microsoft Excel. I found this wonderful article on the website of the University of Wisconsin, guiding you step-by-step on how to analyze data using Excel. The link to the document is provided here: https://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/G3658-14.pdf

Dassalami Soce has 402 households and I have visited every third household to reduce possible bias. As a result, the number of households visited was less than the total number of households in Dassalami Soce. I wanted my data to be statistically significant at the village level.

I have administered the survey to 26 households and I started thinking a week ago of which indicators I will use to write the final report. This reminds me of a paper I had to write for my Research and Methods class at Simmons. Most likely, I will examine the data using age and gender as my indicators to do my analysis.

I will provide this baseline survey to the ministries as evidence that my village needs clean water and access to latrines. The themes that will be discussed in the report are the use of mosquito nets, water and sanitation, Handwashing Station, Latrine access, Maternal and Child Health issues in terms of prenatal visits, the number of pregnant women who take malaria pills and Nutrition in terms of the groups at risk for malnutrition.

In this case, the survey will also give me an idea of which groups of people to target to create behavior change during the VADS. Ideally, I would want to focus on two themes for the report but I think the report might lose its purpose if I do not talk about the other health problems in my village. During All Volunteer conference, I spoke to Vanessa Dickey, the Director of Programming and Training, about my interest of having the report published. Since there is not an IRB established in the Peace Corps, it might get published online for the moment. I am excited to start my analysis in the next few weeks and finish it by the month of April.  

No comments:

Post a Comment