Saturday, February 16, 2013

Progress on Library Project


On January 28th, I had a meeting with the Inspectrice de L’Enseignement Elementaire de Foundiougne and the Inspecteur Departemental de Foundiougne to talk about the progress of the library project. They are coming to my village next week to clarify to the directors of the schools that there will be only one library built instead of two in Dassalami Soce. Due to conflicts between the two schools, I found it necessary to talk to them so that the directors understand that building two libraries will only divide and taint the reputation of the village.  
I have already received books from the U.S. Embassy and am continuing to reach out to other NGOs to donate books to the library. In fact, I had a meeting with ARED on January 31st, Associates in Research & Education for Development, an American organization that works at the grassroots level to promote literacy through the development of reading and learning materials in African languages. The library will be built after the construction of the health hut this month.

I already reached out to an organization based in France named Lire en Afrique yesterday. I am waiting to hear back from them and I will be contacting a local PCV counterpart who has worked with the organization. I would hope to have a meeting with him in the next coming weeks to discuss about his ideas on the management of the library with the school directors.

No comments:

Post a Comment