The main sources of income for the male villagers are
peanuts, millet, rice, cashew processing, and animal husbandry. For female
villagers, the means of income are rice, gardening and cashew processing. Some
of the villagers work in other villages/cities to supplement their income.
Those types of work are mostly seasonal (e.g. during the rainy season). They
usually go to work in Betenty and Richard Tolle. There are no markets in
my village but there are 4 boutiques where almost all items I would need are
sold.
Sources in the village provide sufficient water for everyday
use during the rainy and dry seasons. There are three cement lined wells in the
village. There are no significant problems with salt water, however, flooding
during the rainy season is considered by villagers one of the greatest problems
in Dassalami Soce.
The village is very eager to have a health volunteer in the
community. My role as a health volunteer will be to do home visits where I will
be sensitizing people on health/nutrition issues at the school and health
center. I will be doing causeries, baby weighing, and promote nutrition. The
health post works with 4 villages.
During my first 6 months, I have to get to know the people in these
villages before any projects can take place.
I would have never thought that I would be living in a small
village and biking from place to place. But I have learned early in life that
if you want to make progress, you need to take yourself out of your comfort
zone. You must place yourself in situations that force you to grow. Upon my
arrival, I was scared and intimidated but my fellow Senegalese have taught me
that you must be kind to yourself, take everything one day at a time, and not
to be afraid to make mistakes. My strategy has been not to have expectations,
take everything day by day and to remain flexible when situations do not turn
out as planned.
Hey,
ReplyDeleteFirst thing u a so beautiful in sngalese outfits, the blue is wonderful on u. your descriprion of my people is so acurate. Just relax and be yourself so they can help u. If u show sign od your being a foreigner they may be distant. Good luck and enjoy.