Peace Corps uses the developmental approach to Monitoring and Evaluation. However, it is important to note the differences between “developmental” and “standard” approaches when volunteers are assessing projects in their communities.
Upon reflection on the Monitoring and Evaluation workshop, I agree that following the traditional approach of evaluating projects can be appropriate in certain situations. Today, the standard approach of monitoring and evaluating projects continues to be, for the most part, measuring the change of a situation at the beginning of a project and comparing it to what the situation looks like at the end of the project. Although this approach conveys straight-forward answers to questions pertinent to the project, it does not take into account that life is fluid. Its focus is on the outcome rather than on the process. Its goal is to gather information without really understanding the milieu where people live. Most of the time, the people who use this approach tend to be “outsiders”, people who have spent little or no time in the communities where they are conducting their projects. In these circumstances, key community stakeholders may not be engaged and/or consulted in these activities. As a result, it sends a message where people may feel they are treated as guinea pigs rather than human beings.
One example of this was the malaria assessment questionnaire we needed to complete during our Volunteer visit. Although the purpose of this TDA was to use the info to identify who is more susceptible to malaria in families and to detect areas of improvement, I think that the staff may have forgotten that we do not have enough proficiency in our local languages to go ask these questions in the communities. Although the host volunteers helped us with the questions, it was noticeable that the individuals we were interviewing were uncomfortable. In such instances, I feel like people will tell you what you want to hear rather than tell you the truth which can create bias in the data. This is another disadvantage of using the standard approach of monitoring and evaluation. There was one question at the end of the questionnaire that asked the trainees to go inside some homes to take inventories of mosquito nets. As an outsider, I do not feel like I have earned anyone’s trust to be allowed into their homes to monitor their mosquito nets. Also, people will not reveal personal information about themselves when they first meet you.
As I mentioned earlier, I do understand that the standard approach can be an invaluable tool in some aspects. However, in the process if a person wants to significantly impact peoples’ lives, I would think that you must live in these communities and try to know people as best as you can. This will give you an insight on the dynamics between people and the existing hierarchies of power. Now, I am not saying that everyone will agree with your ideals, but at least they will understand the role you play in the community. I would think that I would be a more effective volunteer if I take the time to understand why people do what they do. If you are coming as an outsider, you do not really have the time to examine the unconscious and conscious reasons/beliefs that explain people’s behaviors. As an outsider, you are only judging/scraping what is on the surface, rather than taking the time to pinpoint the principles people operate on daily and what weaves their society together.
On the other hand, the developmental approach of monitoring and evaluation acknowledges the fluidness of events throughout projects. Peace Corps focuses more on the process used by volunteers in their projects rather than the outcome. Most of the time, volunteers do not see the impact of their work until after they return to the states. The activities conducted are adapted as situations and people change. The method is more learning-focused, provides feedback, generates learning and supports direction, or affirms a change in direction in real time. With this approach, monitoring and evaluation is a continuous learning process “developmentally” shaping the way things are done and assessing the results of these changes.
After this experience, I honor the fact that Peace Corps is one of the few organizations which will place volunteers in communities to do developmental work on the basis that they know their communities well. I am also appreciative that we have two years to do this and that we are allowed to make mistakes in the process. I personally think that this showed a lack of cultural sensitivity even if they might not have intended to convey this message.
I think it is very important to learn more about other cultures. For those of us who want to do developmental work across the globe, I think it is important to learn and understand cultures. Cultures provide context to what is appropriate versus what is not appropriate. The time we take to do build relationships, especially in the Peace Corps, forges our ability to connect with people on multiple levels and create an atmosphere of collaboration rather than division. I think it is important to take the time to understand the cultures because if we hope to improve how we do developmental work in the future, it is important to understand how culture plays a huge role in shaping our projects. If we do not take these minor details into account, these projects might not become sustainable.
| PARTICIPATORY OR “TRADITIONAL” MONITORING AND
EVALUATION |
|
PROS
|
CONS
|
Evaluates
the change of projects from the beginning to the end
|
Community
Stakeholders may not be involved in process
|
Information
is concrete and straightforward
|
Done
by “outsiders” who have not spent much time in the communities they are
conducting the projects
|
Focus
on outcome rather than process (valid
in some situations)
|
Not
shared and may result into a long comes in the form of a long report that is
stuck on a shelf and not used at all.
|
Does
not take into account that people and situations change throughout project
|
|
Not
a continuous learning process
|
|
Structure
of the project is rigid and not flexible
|
|
Delivers
judgments of success and failure
|
|
DEVELOPMENTAL MONITORING AND EVALUATION
|
|
PROS
|
CONS
|
Encourages
implementers to assess and adjust along the path of implementation
|
Process
is not concrete, activities are modified throughout project
|
Activities
change as situations and people change in real time
|
Inability
to assess the impact of work while serving
|
Involves
stakeholders of any changes throughout project
|
|
Learning-Focused
(Continual)
|
|
Supports
direction or affirms changes in direction in real time
|
|
Generates
feedback
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment