Sunday, March 30, 2014

APCD Close of Service Visit in Dassalami Soce



On January 22nd 2014, we held a village meeting with Mamadou Diaw, my APCD in Peace Corps. The following topics were discussed during the meeting: my work achievements, its impact on the community, knowledge and feedbacks from Dassalami Soce, Saroudia and Boutilimite on my work, evaluation of the projects, and the continuation and management of the projects by my replacement.

One of the most important lessons I have learned is that you will not know the level of impact you have on your community until the end of your service. I was overwhelmed with joy when everyone stood up in the crowd to make testimonies of our experiences in the community.  They were also very knowledgeable of the projects that have been established for the communities of Dassalami Soce, Saroudia and Boutilimite.

I received positive feedbacks from the three communities I worked with during my two years of service. They talked about my personality, commitment to my work and my interactions with the people of the villages. It was also a daunting moment because I realized I would be leaving my community in a few months.

Some of the many comments made on my behalf were that they had never had a volunteer like me before. They feel that the work I have done in the community has surpassed the work of the previous volunteers. They spoke of my integration in the village and my openness to talk to everyone, including children. They also commented on the fact I included the community in all the components of the projects and that I am a visionary woman. Overall, they feel that I had sincere intentions towards the community.

They also expressed their sadness and did not want me to leave because they have grown accustomed to me. In the Senegalese communities, most people have challenges sharing their feelings with you, and we crossed this cultural barrier at that moment. This meeting confirmed the strength of our relationships. I am truly going to miss my community because as much as they have learned from me, I have also learned so much from them. They have taught me by example on living in a community, sisterhood, faith, meeting people halfway, forgiveness, love and the art of living in joy no matter the circumstances.

They mentioned the impacts I had on them as a community. They became more ambitious and have seen the benefits of networking with other individuals and organizations. They became more motivated and they are better organized as a team. They no longer think for themselves, and are willing to contribute to the betterment of their village. They are very impressed with the work we have done for the community. I have accomplished the objectives I had set out in the beginning of my service, which includes helping them become self-reliant.

I am very grateful they recognized my efforts and contributions to help improve the community. They spoke of the qualities they wanted in the next volunteer. They want a female volunteer who speaks French and who is willing to continue the projects that have already been established in the community. I live in a conservative village where a man would have a difficult time working with women. The village might think that he is trying to seduce the women and, it would place the volunteer in serious problems with the community. Consequently, the volunteer would not be able to work with the Care Group volunteers because most of them are females. Those are some of the reasons that a female volunteer would be a better fit for Dassalami Soce. 

They want the next volunteer to focus on the evaluation of the projects such as the construction of the new poste de santé, the library, the water and sanitation project in bringing clean water and building new and improved latrines, the installation of the care group model, and the garden/nutrition project.
Some of the people who attended the meeting were Mamadou Diaw, APCD, Ben Saliou Ndiaye, Coordinateur de Pharmaciens Sans Frontieres, Alassane Ndiaye, ASC, Aramata Sonko, Treasurer of Care Group, Alimatou Baa, Secretaire Generale of Care group, Mafoudji Ndiaye, Village Chief, Insa Demba, President of the Health committee of Health Hut, Mamadou Demba, Mandinka Teacher, Lamine Sonko, Director of French school of Dassilame Soce, Johnie Senghor, Leader of the community cleaning project, and Fatou Senghor, President of Finances for the women’s associations in Dassalami and other villagers.


 In the end, Mamadou had a meeting with the coordinator of Pharmaciens Sans Frontieres, Ben Ndiaye to thank him for his contribution in the community of Dassalami Soce. My APCD visited the poste de santé and the library and was very impressed with the work that has been done. He congratulated me for my commitment and contribution in the development of Senegalese communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment