Sunday, March 30, 2014

Great News: Featured in the Simmons Alumna Magazine


On January 28th, I was asked by my mentor, Kalimah Knight from Simmons’ Marketing Communications Department to write about my experience at Simmons and how it shaped my decision to join Peace Corps. I will be featured in the upcoming Simmons Alumna Magazine Spring 2014 issue which focuses on "Simmons Making a Difference in the World."

I am waiting to hear back if I will have a hard copy and an online copy I can share on my blog. I am so excited about this opportunity because it will open more doors to gain valuable experience towards my career path. Below, I am providing the questions that I was asked for the magazine. Some of the answers I provided will be shortened for page limit concerns. I submitted my answers on February 16th 2014.

1. Please share with me some of your favorite moments with the Peace Corps and how it relates to your learning at Simmons.

 The courses I took in the Public Health/Sociology department, and my
 professors imparted in me the desire to learn and nurture my knowledge
 outside the classroom. Simmons gave me a voice to create positive
 changes through community service. As a result, my learning at Simmons
 gave me the leadership skills I needed to succeed in different
 settings.

 Over the years, the Simmons’ programs have increasingly encouraged
 students to pursue international studies and community service abroad.
 Some of my favorite moments in the Peace Corps include the
 cross-cultural exchanges my community and I have shared, our health
 projects, and learning more of the Senegalese’s customs and
 traditions. As a Peace Corps volunteer, I have lived in a rural
 community with no running water or electricity for two years. I have
 also learned to navigate in Mandinka, one of the minority languages of
 Senegal. Those are some examples in which Simmons has prepared me to
 handle any challenges that come in my path.

2. How did Simmons influence your decision to join the Peace Corps?

 I applied to the Peace Corps during my junior year at Simmons. The
 classes I took, International Health and Health Policy, taught me
 about the efforts of non-governmental organizations and key
 stakeholders to solve public health crises from a top-down approach.

 Peace Corps was an appealing organization to me because it addressed
 these problems using grassroots methods in rural and urban
 communities. It was also a tangible experience where I was in the
 frontlines of these public health challenges. I worked alongside
 communities and empowered them to find the solutions to their
 problems. Therefore, I thought Peace Corps was a suitable choice in
 tracing my career path in Public Health and International Development.

 One of many accomplishments during my two years of service included
 the construction of a new and fully equipped hospital. The facility
 will serve more than 2000 habitants in several communities in my
 region. Because I included the community in an NGO’s project, it will
 continue to benefit from the partnership for years to come.

 Solar panels and a maternity ward will be placed in the community in
 the near future. They are also endorsed for two years of medication to
 supplement the medicine stock of the hospital. This project was
 initiated to bridge the socioeconomic gap between those who had access
 to healthcare services and those who did not. Simmons has truly
 prepared me to overcome challenges using minimal resources. It also
 has given me the strength to stand for important issues and make an
 impact on a larger scale.


 3. A quote about your experience
“In life, each person can take one of two attitudes: to build or to
 plant. The builders might take years over their tasks, but one day,
 they finish what they are doing. Then they find they are hemmed in by
 their own walls. Life loses its meaning when the building stops.

 Then there are those who plant. They endure storms and all the many
 vicissitudes of the seasons, and they rarely rest. But, unlike a
 building, a garden never stops growing. And while it requires the
 gardener’s constant attention, it also allows life for the gardener to
 be a great adventure.”
-Paulo Coehlo

 4. What was your biggest take-a-way?
 The biggest take-away is that in whatever stage in life an individual
 may be, their contributions, small or large, are important for the
 advancement of society.

 5. How did your experience with Simmons and the Peace Corps impact what you are doing today?

 My legacy is to empower people to see the greatness in themselves.
 Peace Corps and Simmons have traced my career path in Public Health.
 At Simmons, I learned the importance of giving back to communities
 through, mentoring, community service, advocacy and leadership. Most
 importantly, Simmons encouraged me to have higher aspirations as a
 woman.

The Peace Corps program has given me the necessary tools to empower
 people to lead healthy and productive lives. Most importantly, it has
 taught me to think objectively on creating change without jeopardizing
 the integrity of a community. Overall, my experiences at Simmons and
 Peace Corps have truly prepared me to be in the Public Health field

 where I am helping communities on a larger scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment