Sunday, January 12, 2014

Care Group: Baby Weighings and Cooking Demonstrations Campaign





The Care group recently integrated baby weighings and cooking demonstrations in their activities on December 27th to promote good nutrition among families. The campaign was a huge success in my village. The peanut butter/banana porridge recipe was retrieved from the Nutrition book Peace Corps gave us during Pre-service training.
 
 
We served the porridge to lactating and pregnant women with their children. More than 60 children were weighted and we will prepare the porridge in the other two villages. I have provided the recipe in the blog. It will be adjusted depending on the size of the population for the other villages.


We are also waiting for the soccer games to resume in order to sell the banana peanut butter porridge in small bags as a frozen treat to a wider audience. Through this outreach, I will begin to teach people how to make the recipe in their households. We will also hold a village meeting to reassess our goals and projects for the New Year for latrine constructions, WASH activities, the placement of faucets or covered wells, community gardens, sept-septals in the community by men and women, the continuation of the care group and nutrition causeries, and my replacement in January to facilitate his/her transition.



I will also be working on a physical project portfolio I can use in job interviews displaying the work I have done during my Peace Corps service. I will soon buy the materials to work on that. I am also thinking of giving a copy of the activity plans of all the projects to my replacement so that they are informed of the activities that have taken place. That is one of the many reasons I think the list of contacts will be most useful to him or her.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment